Thirteen Reasons Why | Review

Title: 13 Reasons Why
Created by: Brian Yorkey
Based on: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Seasons (watched): 1 season
Rating: ★★★★

Review

I recently bought and read Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher because I knew that there was going to be a TV show based on the book. I really liked the book, I gave it 4 stars. Thirteen Reasons Why is such a deep and moving book. The book and the TV show will be forever on my mind.

Thirteen Reasons Why tells the story of Hannah. Hannah committed suicide, but before she did, she made 13 tapes with 13 reasons why she committed suicide. You read in Clay's perspective, he's on the tapes but he doesn't know what he did. So he listens to the tapes...

There are some differences between the book and the TV show. In the beginning it annoyed me because I thought the book was so good, but around episode 6 I really got into the TV show and couldn't stop watching. Looking back, I think the changes were really good. They gave more character depth and you get to know everyone a lot better than just the little description Hannah or Clay gave in the book.

The only change I don't completely understand is the way of Hannah's suicide. In the book she takes an overdose of pills but in the series she slits her wrists. Is it because it's more common? Or that it really shows how painful it all is? I do know that it was really hard to watch. I struggle(d) with self-harm myself and watching that scene was really hard for me. I was crying so hard, it was so real and you could see her physical and emotional pain. 

I highly recommend the book and the TV show because everyone needs the know how badly someone can feel and that suicide can never ever be an option. You have to help people and show them that they deserve to be here and that they are wanted.